Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Back in the (proverbial) saddle

Does anyone still read this blog anymore? Perhaps you are one of the many people who have asked why I'm not writing anymore. You'll have to accept my apologies for my silence over the last 6 months. I was (as they so lamely say) busy. But the time was not wasted I assure you.

Over the past 6 months, when people would ask me why I wasn't blogging anymore, I would respond, "I'm too busy doing my job to write about it." While this held some truth, it wasn't the full story. What I was really doing was thinking, questioning myself, my beliefs, my blogging style, and numerous other things. Was I effectively doing what I set out to do when I started this blog? Was that even possible? Was there an audience for my thoughts on publishing and marketing? Was my writing style and choice of subject matter alienating any real dialogue that might exist around the issues I chose to tackle? How could I facilitate enough dialogue to actually change the publishing environment? Was all of this, in the end, worth it?

I didn't find answers to all of those questions, however I do find myself once again at the beginning, the place where all of this started (for me). This weekend I head off once again to Austin for the SXSW Interactive Conference, which is the event that inspired me to start this blog a year ago. And again my mind is on blogging, particularly my blogging. I suppose if I drew any answer from the all of the questions I posed to myself over the past 6 months it would be this: THE QUESTIONS ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE ANSWERS.

Maybe I don't know the answers to every question I face in my job and in my life, but this blog is as good a place to ask them as any, and in doing so, perhaps to give them the serious thought they deserve, and hopefully spark something in you. I think this requires a slightly different methodology than what you have encountered here in the past, when my writing aimed to be more argumentative. I think you will see less of that from now on, and more of my inquisitive nature. Either way, here's to seeing more from Sepulculture than you have in the past 6 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home